The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Friday, September 7, 2012

My Lady & The Morning; My Lady Becomes The Dawn And Then Rises

My body and mind are completely upsidedown. I sleep all day, or until between 4 pm and 5 pm and then I'm awake all night until 5am when I take my heart meds, some pain meds and go to bed. Starting at 4 or 5pm, I get up, wash my face, comb my hair, put on fresh clothes or change from pajamas to clothes and I start cleaning after several cups of coffee and sometimes an english muffin.

I've tried getting in bed early and sleeping, but I just lie there, bored, worried about disturbing my husband...Like now, it's 11:01 pm and I'm on my side of the bed with my MacLap and I've got my roses jammies on, but right below the side of the bed, are my grey slippers Danny bought me because he knows if I hear the cat, I will go and let him in or let him out and I have a thing about wet sox or even worse, crunching snails with bare feet or plain sox. I hate the creepy feeling on my skin of damp or wet sox. I don't know why, but it feels dirty, especially if it involves aforementioned snails. I could be working on Donna's graphic novel , but I'm still searching for a theme. I know she wants Pre-Raphaelite and that's a go for me, but I need a dialogue. I always have to have a dialogue with self when I make my books. I have researched the time period and it feels medieval, not that Rossetti and Waterhouse were painting in the 8th to 15th century, but their themes were depicting those people, those places and I need to stay true to my text.

Right now I am infatuated with the architecture of the those times: the castle keeps, the flying buttresses, the arrow slots, the roofs and gargoyles and even more important: the very shape of Woman as an architectural form of beauty that I can fit into the castle. Her hips as portals, her collar bone as the arch the knights ride through... Billowing in the wind are the banners and regalia that She gave him at the onset of the journey and now is  battered, weather-worn, frayed, while his heraldry once filled with brave bright colors and his armor glistened like the magical, silver salmon in the rivers. She lifted his foot into the stirrup and  handed him the cup of wine that would send him on the journey to Far Away and Far to Go Land in search of damosels needing rescuing, old kings replaced to their rightful throne, young princes returned to their kingdoms where they will grow up and one day rule, and eventually when all the stars are aligned properly as a tarot cross and only then, can he kneel down in front of his Lady, lift her tattered token given at the beginning of the Journey and now, mud-stained and wind-worn, kiss her, enter her, and if she is new to court, if she has been convent-educated and kitchen-taught, when he does enter her, she will bleed like the virgin she is. Her skin will stain like a fresh cut pomegranate and she will wonder what it all means.

These concepts will slowly enter her mind the way a water lillie opens in the sun-warmed pond and she will let her imagination turn into a faery tale. And it will only be the true beginning of Once-Upon-a-Time and they will live happily ever after. 

That's the story I want to tell for Donna's book. Her husband is my dentist and they worked out a trade that I would make one of my collage books in exchange for thousands of dollars of work on my teeth. This book is just full of jewels and glitter and lace and of course, The Story.




No comments:

Post a Comment