The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Magpie Woman Dreams Big

When my husband and I used to drive to Los Angeles to visit his folks, we would always stop at this wayside near Camp Roberts, where a rare flock of magpies lived. Instead of black beak and black legs and feet, they have yellow there. They are so beautiful. So far I have been unsuccessful at posting some photos, but I will keep trying. I am a techno-moron. These magpies don't say, "mag, mag , mag...", like the ones with the black beak and feet, but "reet, reet, reet..." It is so charming.

They are a friendly bird. We always stop at this little town, Greenfield, on the way to the wayside where we rest from our hours of driving and need to do the stretch-and-rest dance. There is a Mexican grocer who also sells fresh meats. I don't eat meat, but the mags do! They love potato bugs, but we have discovered they especially love roasted chicken with Mexican herbs and spices; so we splurge and buy one for the birds. There is a square of cement with two pillars to the north and the south. I sit with my legs criss-cross and I pull meat off the chicken and when I look up, the magpies are sitting on the pillars around me, waiting for me to toss a bit to a bird. I have to choose a beginning of the circle, (thank goodness for the pillars which act as a landmark) and I toss a piece of chicken to that bird. He swoops off the pillar and gobbles it down; and then the next bird flies down and comes forth a few inches to look expectantly at me, so I throw him (or her) a bit and this bird also eats it quickly and then steps back. We go all the way around the circle several times and they politely speak, "Reet, reet..." if I take too long in tearing the meat from the bone.

I long to bring my hand down their sleek head all the way to the tail, or caress the breast of just one magpie, but they are too shy. I would need to stay there a few days to "make friends". And I would love to do just that. You take Hawaii, or Aspen skiing. I love the long meadows sparsely filled with Shropshires and ravens and of course, my magpies. Their nests are huge and high up in the trees which look like cottonwoods, but I see no streams, so I am doubtful as to what kind they are.

Here is my day dream. To live in a stout brown canvas tent deep in the trees so that no humans could see me and I would have my small fire to make meals and heat water for tea. I would try to keep the fire to a minimum so that I would not be discovered. I would spend the days cooking on a low flame, a chicken turning it on a spit, because I couldn't afford to buy one everyday. I would water-color my birds and the sheep amongst the trees as they spread through the grasses. I would hope they would get friendly enough to come right into the tent! The wayside has bathrooms, so I could stay clean and at night I would read by the light of a small candle, but going to bed early, because I have a feeling these birds rise early. I would try to make friends and actually 'pet' one in a few days.
Just a simple summer dream, but one that would be filled with wonder as I got to know the birds better and better.

5 comments:

  1. sounds wonderful, I've only ever seen photos of the yellow legged magpies. Here all our magpies have black legs and are so common as to be pests, but they're a bird with great character and I enjoy watching them

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are considered pests here as well, but i don't know why. the park cleaners grumbled about them and i suppose cleaning up birdshit all day could be a drag, but those kind of things don't bother me. the sleek beauty of those birds are a jewel to me. and i DO ferret shiny things away in little labeled boxes, which i suppose makes my studio my nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. My experience with magpies in Australia was charming, we hand fed a one legged male who was master of his urban domain he would come without fear or trepidation. They become aggressive at nesting time and when the young are nested.

    Robin I have lost track of your e-mail will you please send it to me at;

    ajanon@myspace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rdwpress@gmail.com
      jerry, just now saw this in 2018. been to hell but God let me come back! I've thought of you often. hoe you are well. love Robin

      Delete
  4. hi jerry, i guess maggies are everywhere in the world! a girl gave me a feather from a finnish mag, but i want more than one, so i can paste one in my journal and have one in my feather vase.
    write me more, i miss you!

    ReplyDelete