The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Sunday, March 28, 2010

I read last night at the Methodist Church in a seies set up by Linda Noel. The secratary double-booked their events and were having a dinner social in the hall we had planned on using, so they moved us to the sanctuary itself. Which of course made things a bit tricky. We were asked to watch our language (the Wild Women of Mendocino watch their language?!, but on the other hand, I was perfectly at home reading in there as a christian and so near Palm Sunday. I had planned to read a series of holy week poems, though my first poem was a strong one full of coarse language and I set it aside. I don't think I make a difference using a foul word when it's exactly the word needed. And the Palm Sunday poems are so strong and deep, I felt good, so good that I had writen them. I am taking them to service tomorrow for Steve, one of the elders and who knows, maybe he'll ask me to read them. They've done that before.

I made fifty dollars. I've been doing a great deal of readings lately and earning some decent money these days. This time only fifty ducats, but there were three of us. Linda did a beautiful job.
I found a dress on a lovely girl in a magazine that I plan to show to Cynthia. I have been collecting fabric for years and hopefully she can find enough of some to make several dresses. All the same pattern, but different fabrics for the summer. It seems like an extravagant moment, but at the same time, everything I own is in rags, and I need some new things that will last.

It's like the organizing of my study. If I gather things into their proper places, I can work much better. I have to go to bed now. I am so tired from the work last night. And the getting ready for the work. Patrick and I rehearsed and rehearsed. We plan to record a CD and sell it as we both need money to go on with.

2 comments:

  1. sounsd like a great event, and bringing in decent money too - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks . i just now saw yr comment. yes, the last few months have been bill- paying poetry readings, but yesterday i got a pink pair of converse to wear with summer dresses. i always vowed i'd never wear tennis shoes again after junior high, but i saw this model in the woods in Vogue wearing a summer frock and converse and i fell in love. i needed to get out of my heavy orthopedic winter shoes, though i have an other month before it officially spring here. it's still sooo cold.

    ReplyDelete