The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Sunday, March 7, 2010

When Beauty is Killed Something Dies Inside

My youngest son's girlfriend is moving back into the cottage across a small fence. They painted all day and yesterday too. They'll now live three blocks away and she will be paying $600 for privacy. (my son's father comes downstairs frequently and I guess it's getting old for them.) Duplexes have false privacy I think. She and I laughed how they will be going from next to one parent to next to the other, but I promised I wouldn't 'visit' without letting them know and i wouldn't do it often.

Once a year I find my self watching television because my husband is a screenwriter and he loves to watch the Academy Awards. (Actually he's a retired screenwriter and a fiction writer now, because he hates Hollywood. No amount of $40,000 checks for a simple treatment for a script was good enough. And I couldn't see us back in Southern California again anyway.)

Anyway, I hated the way when the documentary "The Cove" (about killing dolphins) won an oscar for best, the TV cameras cut away and didn't show the presentation of the award. It was so ugly political it makes me want to vomit. Tell the truth, damn it. That wonderful and terrible short film is the reason why I finally had to become a vegetarian, oft' times vegan, again for the rest of my life, because I cannot bear the senseless killing of animals both for food and for keeping creatures of beauty away from other fish like dolphins away from tuna. I haven't seen the film, and would like to, but I've read a number of books by Ruth Ozekie and those books are what reminded me of returning to vegetarianism. I feel better being responsible for my own food anyway. I have been growing so much it, I feel cleaner from Celiac's disease and I feel safer. Some local people make their own tofu for public sale, so that helps with the protein as well as quinoah. I just have to remember to take vitamin Bs. Was there anyone else who saw that awful moment when the cameras cut away. Did it affect anyone besides me with anger and grief?

No comments:

Post a Comment