The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Friday, March 5, 2010

health, memories and pink salt

Yesterday I lost a good chunk of a poem I've been working on since 2005. It's one of the most horrifying feelings...similar to losing a good friend's daily hellos. I'm not sure how to go about within trying to recover or re-work this long poem. The machine recovered as much as it's going to and so it's up to me to reflect on where I want to go, how I want to re-write the story. It's different from writing fiction which I've been doing a great deal of lately, because the poetics that come are inspired, influenced, what have you, by not just imagination and education in the field, but are Muse-induced and my carelessness and the cuteness of one tuxedo cat made a mess of what she's given me already. Like, my blog says no one under thirteen can read this. That was the cat's decision. And of course, I have no idea yet how to reverse the cat's antics.

But the important news is that the jonquils are blooming. The white violets are a carpet and the grape hyacinths are sprouting everywhere, so I have bouquets everywhere. Even the ironing corner has several little vases full. It all seems so simple sounding, but there are times when after one has been sick for a long time, that the simplest things are the best things. I've been scrubbing the kitchen like mad and have selected three pots and pans that are only mine and have essentially kashered them and told Daniel he can't use them, but he's got a bountiful and doesn't mind, he hates to see me so truly ill like I was this time. When my body had been glutin free for such a long period of time and then to ingest something somewhere twice in such a short period of time, apparently that is worse than before it's been discovered I have celiac's disease. I threw the toaster out. Toast is rather nice made in a pan with the smallest amount of olive oil and an even smaller amount of local butter.

I ate glass noodles and tamari with african tree collards from the garden for dinner and not only did my taste buds say thank you, my innards were very happy. For dessert I had a glass of almond milk and I devoured a goodly amount of a Charles deLint book. Health looks so good from the right angle. Yesterday I walked to the health store and i found some salt that someone turned us onto a few years ago. It's from the Himalyas and is pink. For some reason it tastes better than any salt I've had before and I don't know if that's because it brings up the precious memory of an old friend or if the salt is just plain damn good. It was quite expensive and I'll have to be careful with it, but it's worth it just to think of her when I sprinkle some on my yams.

Oh gosh, it's one in the morning. I think it's time to put the PJs on and grab that book. I'm just out of the woods and see no reason to stay up too late and get sick again.

2 comments:

  1. Robin,
    I like your blog. Thank you for sharing the inner most you.
    ZJ loved the pink salt. He's in all the details. Salt and all.
    Hopefully you're feeling better day by day.
    The glass noodles with tamari and african tree collards sounds so exotic!
    Love,
    Deb aka raincoastgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey raincoastgirl, i am so glad you are reading this. is there a place i can read you. i miss you soo very much. love robin

    ReplyDelete