The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Ghosts

My father died Dec 31, 2000 and I have a habit of seeing my Dead. I have been seeing my father everywhere and it drives me crazy and hurts because I miss him so much. The weird thing is he and my husband have the same birthday, they both have blue blue eyes and are built like Marlon Brando after "Street Car", but not quite as heavy as "Godfather"; more like "Last Tango in Paris".

I remember when I was five and we lived in Maui nearly in the rainforest area, you walk five feet and bingo! we are in the jungle. Hawaiian houses have a special feature because of the weather. There is a room called The Lanai and it often doesn't have glass in the window, for the breeze to sneak in.. Sometimes folks have wooden shutters, because it rains nearly once a day or night on Maui Nui.   The roofs are usually thatched with palm leaves. At least the ones I saw.

My Dad took us for a drive on his thirtieth birthday up to Haleakala` because the Century Plant was nearly in bloom and he wanted us to see it. My Dad had from a very early age, male pattern balding. I was five and sitting in the back seat leaning into my Dad, (it was the early Sixties, most cars didn't even have seatbelts) and watching his face in the rearview mirrow with a smile on my face. I truly loved my Dad. He caught me grinning in the glass and grinned back. My mother also caught it and said, "Sit back, Robin" ; but it was too late. The love had already passed between my Dad and I.

Rest Father as you never had been able to in daily living and don't forget how much I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment