The History of Things

The History of Things
Archeology of the Heart

Monday, June 18, 2018

Spring Comes To Mendonesia

18 June 2018, Monday *****Spring Comes to Mendonesia

   At last, Spring has come to Mendonesia and all the gardens are a palette of wild and mad color. Now being legal in our state, the cannabis farmers are getting their plants into the earth and the research for pain management is moving forward. What a blessing.

What I want to do is drive down to Central California and watch the yellow-billed and yellow-stockinged magpies. While the black-billed ones say, "Mag mag mag", the beautiful and rare yellow-billed ones say "Reet reet reet" and are so friendly. They even seem to remember me when I've gone back only several times a year. It's hard to travel very much now due to two reasons: one, the gasoline prices are dishonest and too high and two, my health isn't getting any better, so its hard to stay in a moving vehicle for hours on end. I wish we had magpies right here in our little town.

Currently I've been typing up a selection of poems for a publisher and while I'm glad he's interested in my work, I truly want to get earth under my fingernails out in the garden. My tiger lilies have dropped their green heads, but it will be awhile before they actually bloom open and  show me their orange turbans all freckled with black. I've always hated the color orange, but ya gotta admit, the tiger lily is an animal all to itself. I'm planning on getting a spray of them tattooed on my right forearm this summer. Last summer I designed a bit of poetry by Kenneth Patchen to form a sort of bracelet with two swallows and the last bars of Mister Dylan's song, "Father of Night" on one side of our poetry logo the gypsy girl. On the other side of her is  a space for the first bars and a clef of the song and a guitar that artist Donna Nassar carved. The kid who does my work is remarkable. Will took a look at some old work and said "Let me clean that up for you and I'll keep it reasonable" , so that's what we did, adding the other stuff. I realized I had sixteen tattoos and none of them were for my husband, so since we both love Patchen's work, I pulled a line out of my favorite love poem he wrote for Miriam,

                "...for you are bird and summer sky and all I know of home..."

and Will found a beautiful font to ink it into my skin.

This entry is all over the place simply because I've been away so long and now getting back to writing just blather when I need a break from the 'serious' writing.
And now on my fifth box of "Trailer for Rent" selling like mad. I am so happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment